Where Legend Meets Legacy
While Chester County didn’t receive its distinction and name until 1785, its roots began long before then. This rich land was first inhabited by the Catawba and Cherokee tribes, and by 1755, Scotch-Irish settlers from Pennsylvania and Virginia who moved into the region. During the Revolutionary War, American Forces led by General Thomas Sumter were defeated at the battle of Fishing Creek in 1780, but within a few months claimed victory at Fishdam Ford.
Five years later, the community officially named Chester County and the city of Chester for Chester County, Pennsylvania. With the completion of a courthouse in the 1790s, the city of Chester grew quickly. By 1832, the Landsford Canal System was completed, allowing barges to transport goods to and from South Carolina ports. With the addition of the area’s first railroad in 1851, the county soon thrived as a trading center for surrounding farms.
During the Civil War, the county provided a large number of Confederate soldiers, yet received its share of destruction when Sherman’s troops moved through in 1865. Despite the damage and hard times, Chester County again rose to prominence as textile mills dotted the county by the late 1890s, bringing jobs and prosperity to the region for nearly a century. Today, Chester County continues to thrive and set economic trends as it serves as a welcome home for industries and companies worldwide.